Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ewitness

I just got an amazing book.
OIL
It's a DK Eyewitness Book.
It has clip art and a million tidbits perfect for learning a thing a day! Now I'll be done too soon! Furthermore, I'm glad I didn't find this earlier -- I never would have known about anything!
Clip art, I tell you! Which I can't figure out how to get on here at this moment -- but I will, rest assured.

I did not know that when Saddam invated Kuwait it was based on the claim that they were drilling into Iraqi oil fields.

On the facing page is a photo of Osama bin Laden -- I have to say I think he looks a little like Jesus in this picture -- with the title, "Arch Terrorist."

http://americalives.wordpress.com/

(I got this photo off Google -- but it's very similar)

Language.

Arch Terrorist. Now, believe me, I'm no fan -- and honestly, I thought they had WMD and that we had to go in... but "Arch Terrorist."

I tell my students all the time that they can achieve more impact with subtler words because who the hell would believe a propagandist?

It worries me because I buy these Eyewitness books for my kids all the time -- it never occurred to me they would be propaganda. And propaganda for who? Is it really our society's general principle to use rhetoric to turn our country into believers??

No comments: