Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hard to Distinguish

I am still rather buried in work -- so I don't have two hours this morning to read about water in Nigeria. I will. From what I have skimmed -- there will be lots to read.

Over 400 people died last week in Jos, Nigeria in a what the NYTimes called, "angry Christian and Muslim mobs protested what they said were rigged local election results ... Archbishop Kaigama said the soldiers might have overreacted. “Soldiers were given shoot on sight orders,” he said, “so many of those killed certainly could have been shot by soldiers.”"

It occurs to me that much of what I have already read and much of what I am going to read intersect... that was the point, of course, but it becomes striking just a few days in as I begin to feel my way in the dark.

"SAN FRANCISCO (AP) ― A federal jury on Monday cleared Chevron Corp. of responsibility for any human rights abuses during a violent protest on a company oil platform in Nigeria a decade ago."

The Government, The Oil Companies... they are hard to distinguish in many areas of the world...

No comments: