Saturday, January 26, 2008

Collective Punishment

Today I am thinking about oil as weapon. Oil and gas.

Adel Hana/Associated Press

The Times reported this week:

GAZA — After widespread criticism of its decision to cut off supplies of industrial diesel oil required to run a power station that serves Gaza City and its hospitals, Israel resumed fuel shipments on Tuesday on what it said would be a temporary basis.

The European Union, which pays for the fuel, called the cutoff “collective punishment,” but Israeli officials said they were simply trying to convince Gazans of the need to stop militants from firing rockets into Israeli towns and farms.

Meanwhile in Kenya,

Police officials defended the heavy use of force and said that mobs carrying gasoline had been sighted in Nairobi's business hub on Wednesday. On Thursday a man was surrounded by riot police in the city.


Photo: Uriel Sinai/Getty Images

It's cold in the house this morning. I'm frustrated with some of the situations in my life. It is desperate in the world. Power. Need. Explosion and the desire to create -- change, death. I'm grateful it is not desperate here. I wish the world could feel the same. I'm grateful that my children were born to this way of life.

No comments: