Thursday, July 3, 2008

Permanent Lung Damage

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- New Jersey officials have issued a health alert saying six people have been sickened by mistaking lamp oil for apple juice, including one person who died.

Bruce Ruck of the state Poison Information and Education System says the six drank small amounts of the oil, which resembles apple juice in color and is packaged in a similar container. Health officials haven't identified the brand.

Ruck said Wednesday that the victims ranged in age from 18 months to 84 years. The 84-year-old died Monday.

Three of the survivors were hospitalized but have been released.

Ruck said an 8-year-old suffered permanent lung damage from drinking the oil.

A report by the Illinois poison control center identified 70 cases of torch oil poisonings nationwide during a two-year period ending in December.

Seems we are always mistaking the one thing for the other.

Still, our bodies are fragile.

And when what we use to light our lives are poisonous... seems it's only a matter of time.

No comments: