Saturday, October 18, 2008

Youth For Oil

This is one of the scariest things I've found to date. Their slogan is, "drill here, drill now, pay less."




Hearing propaganda come out of the mouths of politicians -- it's different, of course. We know the money angle -- we know that politics are complicated and that there are reasons for one policy or another that have to do with law or larger scale... even if we don't agree...

But kids believe. And they believe that it's simple. When I was a kid my father did a little stint as an insurance salesman in rural Kentucky. One summer I went door to door with him -- I went to all the meetings. Each week at 7 a.m. one salesman would recite the pitch. One week I recited the pitch. Everyone cheered and I felt really cool. But it must have finally been more than my dad could take... when I looked at him that afternoon, after visiting the old man with no screen door, he told me that they didn't need the insurance. They didn't need it, they couldn't afford it and he sold it to them anyway.

No comments: