I am thinking today about the distinction between yoga and stretching. Was I connected this morning? I was more connected when I was standing on my hands than when I was in shivasana…
Sometimes I feel, when I am coming back to myself it works slowly, in layers.
Some people say just breathe.
Some people say just show up.
Of course, at some point you just have to do the bloody work.
Today the work that is hard is being present. The Practice.
All of it. All of it is work today. Breathing, showing up, working.
When do we become present?
This morning my daughter asked me to wake her up early to practice the piano…
I’ve been reading the OED this week – I love that book so much. The richness of understanding that comes from sinking into history and layers of words… slowly, in layers.
- “The act of doing something: performance execution ...”
- “The habitual doing or carrying on of something …”
- “The doing of something repeatedly or continuously by way of study …”
- “An exercise; A practical treatise ...”
- “The carrying on of an exercise or a profession …”
- “The action of scheming or planning …”
- “The act of practicing on or upon a person …”
- something about multiplication
- “In the realm of action …”
- “To put in practice …”
There’s no inclusion of results. No inclusion of how well…
Anything that has separations involved in the practice – separation and submersion…writing, love… it sort of works like magic, doesn’t it?