Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Hull

The Exxon Valdez spill was the most expensive spill in history.
But it was only the 35th largest,

according to the www.black-tides.com -- one of two websites I've been reading for the last hour or so. The other is the ITOPF. Both sites appear to be funded by oil companies -- and must constitute some public service arrangement in some clause somewhere. They are not advertising, they are very well written -- but they do seem to have quite a few built-in maze like features... the good news is I scored 5 out of 5 on a quiz about oil pollution -- it's working -- I'm learning! The reason the Valdez was such a big deal, of course, was that it was the first major spill in American waters.

What I'm intrigued by today it these photographs of these huge ships sinking -- broken in half and leaking...

The first time I ever wrote about oil was in 2004 or so -- I was in grad school and I wrote about a ship leaking oil -- when metal is fragile

AMOCO CADIZ










Amoco Cadiz 1978

TASMAN SPIRIT









Tasman Spirit 2003

TORREY CANYON









Torry Canyon 1967

-- it was a poem about being a mommy, really -- being responsible and also being unable to prevent disaster -- feeling helpless...

No comments: