Saturday, June 7, 2008

Search Engine Ironies

One of the things I do every morning is put the key word "Oil" into the NY Times search engine. This is not all I do -- but I do it just about every day.

Today, entries 6-10 were all from today's paper (many older stories come up on the search) -- a combination of by-lined and wire service stories -- really, this was the order:


Oil Prices Take a Nerve-Rattling Jump Past $138
Oil's biggest day yet drags down stocks
Energy chief: Flat production behind oil prices
U.S. Urges Subsidy Cuts, Not Regulation, to Tame Oil
Some Oil Pundits See Crude Hitting $140 Or More


How much do those pundits earn, I want to know...

Today I am wondering what it would look like if there were a search engine for my life. I have the awful feeling that entries 6-10 would hold this same kind of idiotic irony --

If we could just integrate our understandings -- what we do, how we do it, why we do it, where we've been and where we are going... it's all in there for us to see clearly.

No comments: